Welcome to ACS (Independent) Humanities Department.
Statement of Philosophy – Humanities
Humanities disciplines develop in students an understanding and appreciation of the human experiences and its environment so that people would recognize their common humanity and shared guardianship of the earth.
Why study the Humanities?
- The Humanities teach empathy and help us understand our past, appreciate the present and anticipate the future.
- The Humanities develop students to be informed and critical citizens .
- The Humanities help us build bridges across international communities through the understanding of various history, politics, spaces, economics and culture.
ACS (I) offers Humanities, History and Geography for the Express programme.
For the IP programme, the school offers International Studies, History and Geography.
History develops young adults who can think, reason and write accurately and critically. Through the studying of history, students grasp how historical forces, events and personalities have shaped and formed the world we live in and in turn develop a sense of empathy, awareness and sensitivity to the diverse historical experiences that constitute the world today.
Geography is a highly relevant and practical subject which is concerned with real issues that affect our lives. These include topics such as global warming , the impact of the haze as well as health and diseases. A skill-based subject , students will acquire map-reading, research and fieldwork skills.
Humanities is a compulsory subject offered in the GCE ‘O’ Level Examination . It comprises 2 components :
a) Social Studies, an interdisciplinary humanities and social science subject that :
- Provides the broad-based foundation for humanities subject specialization
- Develops students to be informed, concerned and participative citizens at local and global levels (Citizenship Education).