ANGLO-CHINESE SCHOOL (INDEPENDENT) EDUSAVE CHARACTER AWARD (ECHA) 2023
The Edusave Character Award (ECHA) is introduced by Ministry of Education in 2012 to enable schools to recognise students who demonstrate exemplary character and outstanding personal qualities through their behaviour and actions. This is part of the larger goal to foster an inclusive and stronger Singapore in order to broaden the qualities and achievements to be encouraged and applauded. The award also supports schools’ continuing efforts in nurturing students of good values and character, who are active contributors and concerned citizens.
Objectives and Guiding Principles
The objectives of the ECHA are:
- To send a clear and strong signal of the importance that MOE places on character and values, on par with achievements in the academic domain; and
- To recognise outstanding students in each school who are exemplary in character, and who can be role models to inspire others.
Quota of Awards
The ECHA maximum quota will be capped at 2% of the total enrolment of Singaporean students in the school.
The ECHA is open to students from all levels.
The ECHA is meant to recognise and affirm students who demonstrate exemplary character and outstanding personal qualities through their behaviour and actions. Students must satisfy the following eligibility criteria before they can be awarded the ECHA:
All nominees for the ECHA must fulfill the following criteria :
- Is a Singapore Citizen.
- Has good disciplinary records.
- Is regular in his / her attendance in school.
- Is responsible in submitting quality work on time.
- Is committed in attending his / her CCA.
- Is involved in school-based or student-initiated Values In Action (VIA).
- Is a role model in his / her conduct and attitude.
- Upholds the core purpose, mission & vision of the school.
- Demonstrates school values (SHIELD) :
The selection process will constitute the following stages:
- Nomination : There is a broad-based nomination process in place to accept nomination from students, parents, teachers and other key stakeholders who interact with students. As part of the school’s review efforts to promote impartiality and transparency of the ECHA selection processes, parents are strongly encouraged not to nominate their own child.
- Shortlisting : A structured process is instituted to shortlist students from the pool of nominees. The shortlisting of nominees will be conducted by a panel chaired by the ECHA committee made up of the school’s Deans and Directors. The panel will solicit feedback from different key stakeholders.
- Endorsement : The validation and endorsement of the ECHA awardees will be conducted by a panel chaired by either the Principal or Deputy-Principal, and is independent of the shortlisting panel.
Receiving Multiple Edusave Awards
Currently, students may receive only one Edusave academic award (i.e. Edusave Scholarship, the Edusave Merit Bursary or the Good Progress Award). Students may also receive the Edusave Award for Achievement, Good Leadership and Service (EAGLES) in addition to an Edusave academic award. With the introduction of the ECHA, deserving students will be allowed to receive the ECHA in addition to an Edusave academic award and/or the EAGLES award, i.e. a student can receive up to a maximum of 3 Edusave awards.
Form of Award
Similar to the practice for other Edusave awards, the ECHA awardees will receive a certificate and an award voucher. The ECHA award quanta are as follows, depending on the level of study:
Primary 1 to 3
Primary 4 to 6
Secondary 1 to 5, Pre-U 1 to 3
Presentation of Award
ECHA will be given out at the community level, together with the Edusave Scholarships, Edusave Merit Bursaries, Good Progress Awards and EAGLES.
Integrity Award – In memory of Tan Sri (Dr) Tan Chin Tuan
The Integrity Award is set up in 2021 by the Anglo-Chinese School Foundation to recognise ACS students who displays the highest level of integrity.
A cash award of $1,500 will be given out to the most deserving student from each of the six schools - ACS (Primary), ACS (Junior), ACS (Barker Road), ACS (Independent), ACS (International) and ACJC. This award known as ‘The Integrity Award – In Memory of Tan Sri (Dr) Tan Chin Tuan’, is named after the late Tan Sri (Dr) Tan Chin Tuan, who was a banker and noted philanthropist, and an Old Boy of ACS.
All ECHA awardees will be automatically nominated for the Integrity Award. Deserving non-Singaporeans who are not eligible for ECHA, will be separately nominated by the school. The selection process is similar to that of ECHA, and will comprise the nomination, selection and endorsement stages.
Nominations for both ECHA & Integrity Award 2023 are now opened. The closing date for nomination is Monday, 31 July 2023 (5 pm) and all nominations must be submitted by the closing date and time.
Please use the following links to nominate