The upper part of the crest shows a creature with a lion head, eagle wings and a dragon body with claws, symbolising the fact that the school was founded when Singapore was a British colony, by the American Methodist Mission, and during the Manchu dynasty in China.
The lower part the crest comprises two panels in blue and gold; these which represent heaven and earth, and also symbolise spiritual and material accomplishment. The letters “ACS” in red symbolise life bridging heaven and earth, as well as the blood of Christ uniting heaven and earth.
It is shaped as a shield to uphold knightly virtues such as chivalry, honour, loyalty, valour and manliness.
The crest was designed in 1930 by the late Dr Yap Pheng Geck who was then a member of the staff.
The school motto, The Best Is Yet To Be, which was later introduced by the late Mr T W Hinch (Principal, 1929 – 1947), was incorporated into the crest in 1959. The motto was taken from Robert Browning’s poem “Rabbi Ben Ezra”: