The 1950s – 1970s

The 1950s – 1970s

In 1950, Pre-University classes were set up and the first batch of female students was enrolled in ACS. Two years later, Mr Thio Chan Bee, an Old Boy, became the School’s first Asian Principal. On 7 January 1955, ACS became the first Methodist school to have a Board of Governors (BOG) which served to provide guidance and support to the school administration.  The Board comprised, as it still does, representatives from the Methodist Church, the ACS OBA and the ACS family.

The attainment of self-government and political independence in the 1950s and 1960s raised educational horizons and schools in Singapore began expanding and building new facilities to meet the changing educational needs. The first ACS Fun-O-Rama was held on the Barker Road campus in 1956 to raise funds for the Pre-University block which was fully equipped with science laboratories and a library. The Sports Complex and gymnasium, and an Olympic-sized school swimming pool, were also constructed during this period.

In the 1970s, even more dynamic changes to ACS followed. The school embraced the trend of introducing Junior College education and the Anglo-Chinese Junior College (ACJC) was established in 1977.